It’s Labour Day. How’d that happen so fast? Wasn’t it just here yesterday??? Hmmm….somehow I don’t really feel like labouring today. How about you?
Actually, I’ve got some conflicting feelings. Part of me wants to get going, get focused and roar into the new season with gusto. At the same time, a substantial part of me is still resisting. I’m not ready to let go of the summer just yet. Too many ‘summer-like’ things I still want to enjoy. And, I’ve geared down a bit this summer and not 100% sure I’m ready to gear back up.
Or maybe I am.
I just took a few minutes to do a “Labour Day” reflection in my journal. The idea was to rev up my “work-life mojo”. I asked myself three questions:
1) What do I want to celebrate and remember about Summer ’08 (work, personal, other)?
2) What am I looking forward to in the coming season (work, personal, other)?
3) What do I need to do to keep my work mojo alive and energized as I say goodbye to summer and hello to the fall?
A lot came up for me with that reflection. I realized that I had a fantabulous summer — it’s energizing in itself to remember the good times rather than dwell on the fact that it’s coming to an end. I also remembered that I have fantastic opportunities ahead — and lots to look forward to both in my work life and personally. I’m still reflecting on that third question. For me it’s going to be something about structures to maintain the balance — so that I don’t get too carried away in the rush of the season and forget to build in those ‘gear-down’ times that I so enjoyed this summer.
Focusing my attention this way has already helped shift my mindset and how I feel about completing summer and heading into the next season. By intentionally paying attention and celebrating the joys I’ve had and remembering the meaningful opportunities ahead of me, I’ve given my work-life mojo a boost. Not complicated stuff. Sometimes it’s just about how we choose to focus — what we choose to pay attention to. It’s very ‘EQ’ish wouldn’t you say?
In the spirit of Labour Day, here are a few past posts that you might enjoy as you get ready for the new season:
1) Beat the “Back to Work September Blues”
2) Hello September: Random thoughts from others in answer to: How do you feel about September coming
3) Is Your Work a Job, Career or Calling? Food for thought if you are in the mood to reflect on what work means to you.
How about you? I’d love to hear from you — about your thoughts, strategies and ideas as you head into this new season and get ready to bid summer ’08 adieu!
Happy Labour Day and to a TGIM Work-life!
BACK TO TGIMWORKLIFE HOMEPAGE